ALL APPOINTMENTS ARE CURRENTLY FULL
We would like to assist you this tax season, but we are at capacity. Our program has finished the 2020 filing season, and the office closed effective April 3, 2021. Please check back in the spring of 2022 for information regarding services for the 2021 filing season.
The most up-to-date information on the Spring 2021 VITA program will be communicated on this page: This information is current as of April 7, 2021.
SERVICES ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY FOR THE 2020 FILING SEASON
The UMD Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides tax return preparation services for low and moderate-income residents of the Duluth-Superior area. In 2020, the VITA program prepared returns for over 450 low-income clients.
Students participating in the VITA program will earn one or two credits in their major, gain real-world experience in tax return preparation, and participate in a service-learning program at two community locations, the Duluth Public Library and in LSBE.
As a service-learning program, VITA provides a hands-on experience not only preparing the returns for clients but also developing client service skills and aiding people in need in their community. Students gain both marketable workplace skills as well as the benefits that come from giving back to their community.
FREE VOLUNTEER TAX ASSISTANCE
For more information call 726-6779 or email us at [email protected]
January 27, 2021, until April 9, 2021
Tuesday 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Wednesday 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Thursday 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Friday 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Duluth Public Library (All Sessions Canceled)
Location: 520 W. Superior St.
IRS VITA return preparation sites are operated by certified volunteers. Site operation hours and services offered may be limited. Your patience and understanding are appreciated.
VITA 2020 Tax Season (Feb 13 - Apr 3, 2021): TAX PREPARATION SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. NO WALK INS ARE PERMITTED. ALL OF OUR APPOINTMENTS ARE CURRENTLY FILLED.
* Appointments must be scheduled with our volunteers during office hours. No appointment requests will be honored if left via voicemail or via email.
* Properly worn masks will be required for all in-person appointments.
*Hand sanitizer will be available.
*If you are sick, please cancel/do not attend your scheduled in-person appointment. Accommodations will be made to reschedule your appointment.
Required Items to file your taxes:
- For married filing jointly, both spouses must be present
- All forms, W-2 and 1099
- Information for other income
- Information for all deductions/credits including any forms 1098
- A copy of last year’s return
- Account number and routing number for direct deposit of refund
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse, and/or dependents
- Proof of identification for yourself and/or spouse
- Total paid, if any, to daycare provider and their tax ID number
- Birthdays for you, spouse, and dependents on the return
- Forms 1095-A (Affordable Health Care Statements)
- Rent Certificates (From CRP) and/or 2016 property tax statement
- Receipts for purchase of school-related materials for K-12 students
The IRS provides guidelines that the VITA Program must follow. Tax Return preparation is:
- Restricted to taxpayers with low to moderate-income ($54,000 or less).
- Limited to returns with the following types of income:
- Wages and salaries (Form W-2)
- Interest Income (Form 1099-INT)
- Dividends Received (Form 1099-DIV)
- State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
- Unemployment Compensation (Form 1099-G)
- IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
- Pension Income (Form 1099-R, Form RRB-1099)
- Social Security Benefits (Form SSA-1099)
- Simple Capital Gain/Loss
- Sale of Home (1099-S) Limited to basic situation
- Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
- Cancellation of Debt from Credit Cards (1099-C)
- Limited to returns with basic deductions
- Limited to returns with the following tax credits:
- Education Credits (Form 1098-T)
- Child Tax Credit
- Earned Income Credit
- Child & Dependent Care Credit
- Retirement Savings contribution credit
- Available for Affordable Care Act Statements (Form 1095-A)
Thank you for your patience and look forward to serving our community this upcoming tax season.