Gain Knowledge. Complete MBA Prerequisites. Earn Certification.
If you’d like to gain knowledge of business fundamentals without declaring a major or minor in LSBE, the Certificate in Business Administration (CBA) might fit your needs. Designed specifically for non-LSBE and pre-MBA students, this fully online set of eight modules provides an overview of business management processes. Each module is worth two credits.
The CBA is designed for:
- A non-LSBE student who is interested in gaining knowledge of business fundamentals without declaring a major or minor in business.
- Those enrolled in the Cultural Entrepreneurship program through the College of Liberal Arts, where these modules are integrated into that curriculum.
- A pre-MBA student who does not have an undergraduate business degree prior to admission to the MBA program and needs to fulfill the prerequisite course requirements.
- A community business professional who would like to brush up on your knowledge of business fundamentals or has continuing education needs.
Students can choose to complete all course modules or they can select specific modules based on their interest in the field. If a student completes all eight modules, they will be awarded a Certificate in Business Administration by LSBE.
Please Note: These modules do not serve as substitutes for existing LSBE courses and should not be taken by LSBE students.
Please review the Certificate in Business Admin flyer for more details.
- Gain a strong understanding of business fundamentals
- Become familiar with the vocabulary of business management
- Gain an understanding of the challenges faced by managers and strategies used to meet those challenges
Curriculum: (16 credits)
- BUS 2100: Fundamentals of Accounting
- BUS 2200: Fundamentals of Economics
- BUS 2300: Fundamentals of Operations Management
- BUS 2400: Fundamentals of Organizational Management
- BUS 2500: Fundamentals of Applied Statistics
- BUS 2600: Fundamentals of Financial Management
- BUS 2700: Fundamentals of Marketing
- BUS 2800: Fundamentals of Human Resource Management
**Note: A minimum of 75% (12 credits) of the certificate coursework must consist of BUS courses taught at UMD.
To be admitted to this undergraduate certificate, students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.00 or meet the admission requirements for admission into UMD. To apply for this certificate, please go to the online application.
Application deadline is two weeks before the start of the semester.
Business Certificate Course Offerings for Fall Semester and Spring Semester
|FALL SEMESTER||SPRING SEMESTER|
|First Half of Semester||First Half of Semester|
|BUS 2500||BUS 2200|
|BUS 2700||BUS 2400|
|Second Half of Semester||Second Half of Semester|
|BUS 2600||BUS 2100|
|BUS 2800||BUS 2300|
For more information and/or access into the BUS classes, please contact: