Matthew Lunde is an Assistant Professor of Marketing in the Labovitz School of Business and Economics at the University of Minnesota Duluth. He has taught over 75 classes thus far and presented at over 40 conferences in the United States and around the world. He has lived and worked in North Dakota, Wyoming, New York, and Kansas before moving back to Minnesota–originally from Pelican Rapids, MN. He is the Co-Vice Chair of the new “Sustainability SIG” at American Marketing Association (AMA). When he isn’t teaching and researching, he loves traveling. Currently, he has traveled to 47 states and 47 countries. Finally, as a native Minnesotan, he lives for our beautiful summers at the lake–swimming, water skiing, and boating with friends and family.
- Ph.D. in Marketing & Sustainable Business Practices (2018), University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
- MBA in Green Marketing (2012), North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
- Graduate Certificate in College Teaching (2011), North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
- Master of Architecture (2009), North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
- Bachelor of Environmental Design (2008), North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
- LEED AP+BD&C (2008), United States Green Business Council, Washington DC (sustainability expert accreditation)
His research interests primarily fall into the areas of sustainable consumption and behavior, sustainable marketing, and macromarketing; however, he also researches personality traits (e.g., Dark Triad), consumer vulnerability, ethics, and target marketing. He has published in AMS Review, Journal of Consumer Marketing, sustainability-related journals, and several book chapters.
- Sustainable marketing & decision-making
- Sustainable/green messaging & communication
- Sustainable behavior & action
- Public policy & social marketing
- Personality and the Dark Triad
- Transformative consumer research (TCR)
- Marketing ethics
- Liska, Luke Ingalls, Matthew B. Lunde, Zhihao Yu, Maneesh Thakkar, and Dacota Liska (2022), “The Consumer Behaviour of Online Shopping: How Product Type and Experience Moderate the Role of Products Advertised through Product-Environment Congruence,” Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 1st round of review
- Blair, James, Prachi Gala Gandhi, and Matthew B. Lunde (2021), “Utilizing Gain and Loss Message Framing Effectively for Gen-Z Consumers: A Machiavellian Perspective,” Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 1st round of review
- Blair, James, Prachi Gala Gandhi, and Matthew B. Lunde (2021), “Dark Triad-Consumer Behavior Relationship: The Mediating Role of Consumer Self-Confidence and Aggressive Interpersonal Orientation,” Journal of Consumer Marketing, Conditional acceptance
- Lunde, Matthew B., (2018) “Sustainability in Marketing: A Systematic Review of 20 Years of Theoretical and Substantive Contributions (1997-2016),” AMS Review, 8 (3-4), 85-110.
- Lunde, Matthew B. (2013), “Socially Responsible Green Marketing in Architecture,” International Journal of Sustainable Public Policy & Practice, 8 (1), 259-278.
- Rittenburg, Terri L. and Matthew B. Lunde (2022), “Ethical Issues in Target Marketing: Inclusion, Exclusion, and Consumer Vulnerability,” [Chapter 1], in Rebeca Perren, Camille Schuster, and Glen Brodowsky (eds.), Handbook on Intra-Cultural Marketing, United Kingdom: Edward Elgar Publishing. Chapter 2, (book chapter, forthcoming Fall 2022).
- Peterson, Mark and Matthew B. Lunde (2016), “Turning to Sustainable Business Practices: A Macromarketing Perspective,” [Chapter 3], in Naresh K. Malhotra (ed.), Review of Marketing Research: Marketing In and For a Sustainable Society, Vol. 13, United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing. 103-138.
- Kidwell, Roland and Matthew B. Lunde (2016), “Human Resource Innovation or the Iron Cage? The Ethical Line(s) Between High Performance Work Systems and Abusive Supervision,” [Chapter 6], in Neal M. Ashkanasy, Rebecca J. Bennett, and Mark J. Martinko (eds.), Understanding the High-Performance Workplace: The Line Between Motivation and Abuse. New York: Routledge Psychology Press. 105-125.
- Consumer Behavior
- Sustainable Marketing
- Principles of Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Marketing Strategy Capstone
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Business Ethics
- Advisor to AMDAR Club (Advertising & Marketing Registered Student Organization/Student Club)