Technology Requirements for LSBE
You are here
All LSBE students are required to have a laptop computer. The minimum specifications below are sufficient for courses in LSBE.
Financial Aid Note:
To determine if computer costs can be included in a financial aid package visit the UMD One Stop page for information on the Purchase of a Personal Computer.
The UMD Computer Corner offers significant educational discounts for laptop computers (from HP, Dell and Apple) and software. The UMD Computer Corner can be contacted at (218) 726-6218 or toll-free (866) 726-8631. Of course, you may also purchase your laptop from another vendor if you prefer.
Because a laptop is required component for LSBE students, if purchased at the UMD Computer Corner the sale is also tax free.
Laptop Specifications (minimum)
- Windows 7, 8.x, or 10 | Mac OS 10.10 (or newer)
- 1.6 GHz processor (multi-core Intel, AMD, or Mac)
- 120 GB or larger hard drive
- 4 or more GB RAM
- 802.11g or newer Wireless network
- web camera
- 4 GB (or larger) USB Flash Drive (to transfer files)
- VGA external display adapter (for classroom presentations)
- 3-4 year Service/Maintenance plan
- Accidental Damage Plan or Insurance (available for laptops purchased at the UMD Computer Corner)
Requirement for Marketing and Graphic Design majors:
Marketing and Graphic Design majors MUST purchase the computer configuration that corresponds to the School of Fine Arts, Art and Design Department, NOT the standard computer configuration for LSBE (as listed above).
Software Requirements and Resources:
Office and Productivity
All registered University of Minnesota students can download Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus free of charge.
Additionally, the University provides Google Apps to all students, staff and faculty free of charge.
To protect your Windows operating system, Microsoft Security Essentials is free from Microsoft.
LSBE participates in the Microsoft Imagine program (Formerly Dreamspark).
Microsoft Imagine provides students registered for a pre-approved list of courses access to numerous Microsoft applications, at no cost.
The courses that currently benefit from this program are: FMIS 2201, FMIS 3225, FMIS 3222, FMIS 3232, FMIS 4221, FMIS 4225.
The statistical software package SPSS is available at no cost to LSBE students. This application is required for some LSBE courses. To download this application visit the UMD Student Software page.
LSBE faculty and students are entitled to a Qualtrics Survey Software account. Click here to register and start taking advantage of Qualtrics. If you already have a LSBE Qualtrics Account, sign in here.
For more information about software available via academic licensing please refer to:
Additional Information for Mac Users
Several LSBE courses require applications not available on the Mac operating system (e.g. Microsoft Access) so students will need access to the Windows operating system. Mac users have a couple issues to be aware of and options for meeting these requirements:
- Windows operating system can be installed on Intel-based Mac computers using software like Virtual Box (freeware), VMware Fusion, or Parallels (about $50 each, available at the UMD Computer Corner). University of Minnesota students can get a free version of Windows 10 through Windows for Education.
- The LSBE Technology Program offers in-person assistance on installing Windows on a Mac laptop. For help visit LSBE 111U or call (218) 726-6705
- Certain courses in LSBE require the use of the Data Analysis Toolkit in Excel. The 2011 Mac version of Office does not include this add-in but freeware or third party data analysis tools are available on the web: (e.g. StatPlusMac LE www.analystsoft.com/en/products/statplusmacle/download.phtml) The Mac version of Office 2016 added the Data Analysis Toolkit back in and it can be downloaded and installed through the Office 365 portal free of charge as long as Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) is installed and you're a University of Minnesota student.