You are here
Bizdogs Living-Learning Community
Live & Learn as a Community
The BizDogs Living and Learning Community
The BizDogs Living and Learning Community is a group of first-year, pre-business students within the Labovitz School of Business and Economics (LSBE), who elect to live together in a traditional residence hall community and take classes together, creating an environment where community members can thrive socially and academically. Currently there are about 50 students in the Fall 2019 BizDogs cohort. View the past BizDogs cohorts.
- Succeed! Research shows students who participate in learning communities have higher GPAs.
- Move into your residence hall two days before everyone else.
- Interact with LSBE faculty and staff who want to help you successfully navigate your first year in college.
- Participate in sessions and events, open only to BizDogs members, to advance your educational development and establish professional goals.
- Network with LSBE alumni to gain insight on career paths and success strategies.
- Attend on-campus study groups within your BizDogs Community; no traveling required.
- Meet a diverse group of students from all over the state, country and world who bring different backgrounds, thoughts, and ideas.
- Develop lasting friendships or meet great study partners.
2019 BIZDOGS ORIENTATION SCHEDULE
|Tuesday, August 20, 2019|
|12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.||Move-In to Your Room|
|5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.||Dinner - Grill Buffet provided by LSBE||LSBE Atrium|
|6:30 p.m.||Get settled, run to stores, say "Goodbye"|
|Wednesday, August 21, 2019|
|Wake up - 11:00 a.m.||Free time|
|11:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.||Brunch||LSBE Atrium|
|11:45 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.||BizDogs Orientation Session||LSBE 125|
|2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.||Move In Training with Housing||Griggs EF 2nd Floor Conference Room|
|3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Free Time|
|5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.||Dinner||Superior Dining Center|
|6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.||Floor Meeting||LSH 2nd Floor Lounge|
|7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.||Floor Fun|
|Thursday, August 22, 2019||Move In Day|
|7:30 a.m.||Breakfast with Housing (Optional)||Griggs EF 2nd Floor Conference Room|
|8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.||Working in shifts, help other students move into residence halls|
|3:00 p.m.||Free Time|
Highlights from Fall 2018:
- The opening BizDogs orientation session was a great way for students to learn about the structure of the Living Learning Community and included activities that helped the students get to know each other.
- Students are fully utilizing the math tutoring that is available directly in the Lake Superior Hall 2nd floor study lounge. In fact, the response has been so positive that we had to move the tutor from the small study lounge to the large study lounge in order to accommodate all the students.
- Students have especially enjoyed the BizDogs lunch with an LSBE faculty member. Students are able to learn more about LSBE faculty by asking questions about their discipline and hear feedback on how to get involved and get the most of being an LSBE student.
- Students report how easy it is to find a study partner to work on homework in the study lounge.
- Various departments across campus have come and presented how their office can assist in the development and success of the student experience at UMD.
Interested in Joining?
When filling out your UMD housing application, simply check the box, “I am interested in joining the BizDogs Living Learning Community.” Community members will be admitted on a first come, first serve basis so get your application in early.
As a reminder, the BizDog Living Learning Community is open only to new incoming LSBE students.