Applications for the 4+1 Program are due March 1, 2020 for the 2020/2021 academic year. Application instructions are located at the bottom of this page.
An MBA is a valuable credential for any employee who wants to fast track their career. In many instances, having a graduate degree “in hand” can give you a competitive advantage in the marketplace over similar applicants with only a bachelor’s degree. The MBA also provides undergraduate business majors with an advanced level of understanding of business issues in the global economy.
Current BAc or BBA candidates in the Labovitz School can take advantage of our new “Integrated Undergraduate/Graduate” Option. This 4+1 program allows our undergraduate students to earn both their Bachelors and MBA degrees in 5 years. Admission to the 4+1 program occurs during the Junior year (see “Admission Requirements for the IUG Option” below), with MBA classes starting during the undergraduate's Senior year.
Other reasons to consider the 4+1 Integrated MBA:
- AACSB Accreditation. The Labovitz MBA is the only AACSB accredited program in the Northeast Minnesota region. For additional information about AACSB Accreditation, click here.
- Global Recognition. The Labovitz MBA is issued by the University of Minnesota's Graduate School, which is globally recognized for its academic excellence.
- Ph.D. Qualified Faculty. The majority of our faculty are PhDs with an active research agenda in the area that they teach. They know the theory, and are experts at communicating those theories in ways you can understand and apply in your career.
Upon acceptance into the program, students will be eligible to take 5xxx-level courses during their Senior year that count toward their MBA. Courses appear on both the undergraduate and graduate transcripts (a maximum of 9 credits of coursework can count toward the BAcc/BBA and MBA requirements). In other words, students in the 4+1 program start their graduate coursework prior to the completion of their undergraduate degree and are allowed to count up to 9 credits of coursework toward both their undergraduate and graduate degrees. This significantly reduces the cost of the MBA program for current LSBE students.
The 4+1 option is also attractive to BAcc students who must complete 150 credits as part of the certification requirements to become qualified as a CPA and other BBA students who wish to continue graduate studies immediately after graduation from their bachelor’s program.
Admission Requirements for the IUG Option
Applicants for the 4+1 program must:
- Be a BAcc or BBA student currently in good standing within the Labovitz School of Business and Economics.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.3 (on a 4.0 scale) at the time of application or by the end of Spring semester.
Current LSBE students who meet the above qualification and apply to the 4+1 program will not be required to take the GMAT or GRE exam prior to admission.
Application Process [PDF Version]
Applications for the 4+1 program are due March 1, 2020 for the 2020/2021 academic year.
Applications for the 4+1 program should be submitted through the online application system in February of your Junior year (in order to allow you two semesters to take 9 credits of 5xxx-level courses during your Senior year).
In addition to the required information in the online application, please make sure to complete the following to make sure you are given proper consideration:
- Applicant Statement Number 1: Statement of Purpose (limit one page).
- Applicant Statement Number 2: Diversity Statement (limit one page).
- CV or Resume
- One letter of recommendation from an LSBE faculty member
- Unofficial transcripts (APAS reports are not accepted)
- TOEFL Score - only required for applicants whose native language is not English.
The Application Fee for the 4+1 Program is $75 for US Citizens/Permanent Residents or $95 for International students. This fee is payable via credit/debit card at the time of application submission through the online application system. It is non-refundable.
Students will be assigned an MBA advisor upon acceptance into the 4+1 program. Courses that are double-counted for the BAcc/BBA degree and MBA degrees must meet the requirements of both degrees. Only those courses that are pre-approved for graduate credit may be taken to meet the requirements for both degrees. Use the list of cross-listed 4xxx/5xxx courses to identify those courses eligible for dual credit. Students must be admitted into the 4+1 program PRIOR to taking the 5xxx-level courses in order to count them toward graduate credit. Graduate credit will not be given for 4xxx-level courses.
Duluth 4+1 Integrated MBA
Labovitz MBA Program Director
Labovitz Advising & Academic Services Director