Duluth 4+1 Integrated MBA
You are here
An MBA is a valuable credential for any employee who wants to fast track their career. In many instances, having a graduate degree “in hand” can give you a competitive advantage in the marketplace over similar applicants with only a bachelor’s degree. The MBA also provides undergraduate business majors with an advanced level of understanding of business issues in the global economy.
Current BAc or BBA candidates in the Labovitz School can take advantage of our new “Integrated Undergraduate/Graduate” Option. This 4+1 program allows our undergraduate students to earn both their Bachelors and MBA degrees in 5 years. Admission occurs during the Junior year (see “Admission Requirements for the IUG Option” below), with MBA classes starting during the undergraduate's Senior year.
Other reasons to consider the 4+1 Integrated MBA:
- AACSB Accreditation. The Labovitz MBA is the only AACSB accredited program in the Northeast Minnesota region. For additional information about AACSB Accreditation, click here.
- Global Recognition. The Labovitz MBA is issued by the University of Minnesota's Graduate School, which is globally recognized for its academic excellence.
- Ph.D. Qualified Faculty. The majority of our faculty are PhDs with an active research agenda in the area that they teach. They know the theory, and are experts at communicating those theories in ways you can understand and apply in your career.
Upon acceptance into the program, students will be eligible to take 5000-level courses during their Senior year that count towards their MBA. Courses appear on both the undergraduate and graduate transcripts (a maximum of 9 credits of course work can count towards the BAcc/BBA and MBA requirements). In other words, students in the IUG program start their graduate coursework prior to the completion of their undergraduate degree and are allowed to count up to 9 credits of course work toward both their undergraduate and graduate degrees. This significantly reduces the cost of the MBA program for existing LSBE students.
The IUG option is also attractive to BAcc students who must complete 150 credits as part of the certification requirements to become qualified as a CPA and other BBA students who wish to continue graduate studies immediately after graduation from their bachelor’s program.
Admission Requirements for the IUG Option
Applicants for the IUG program must:
- Be a student currently in good standing within the Labovitz School of Business and Economics.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.3 (on a 4.0 scale).
Current LSBE students who meet the above qualification and elect the IUG option will not be required to take the GMAT or GRE exam for admission.
Applications for the IUG Option are due March 1, 2019 for the 2019/2020 academic year. Application Instructions.
Students will be assigned an MBA advisor upon acceptance into the IUG program. Courses that are double-counted for the BAcc/BBA degree and MBA degrees must meet the requirements of both degrees. Only those courses that are pre-approved for graduate credit may be taken to meet the requirements for both degrees. We will introduce cross-listed 4xxx/5xxx courses during 2017-18 within LSBE that will clearly identify those courses eligible for dual credit. Students must be admitted into the IUG program prior to taking those courses in order to count them towards graduate credit.
Duluth 4+1 Integrated MBA
Labovitz MBA Program Director
Labovitz Advising & Academic Services Director