Early Admission Policy
You are here
The Labovitz MBA now offers exceptional applicants lacking certain MBA prerequisites and foundation courses early admission. Early admission is reserved for these exceptional applicants and cannot be used for applicants in other circumstances. Individuals admitted under this policy are subject to the following conditions:
- International students admitted without all foundation courses must enroll as full-time students at UMD.
- Students must have completed and obtained a satisfactory score on the GMAT or GRE exam to be considered.
- Once admitted, students will need to pay graduate tuition for all coursework completed at the University of Minnesota unless courses are taken as non-credit.
- All foundation coursework completed at the University of Minnesota will appear on the student’s graduate transcript and will count towards their graduate GPA.
- Students admitted under this policy must have a clear written plan on file for completing all of the required foundation courses approved by the MBA Director.
- Students admitted under this policy but not taking any UM courses must register for GRAD0999 and pay any necessary fees (note: international students must enroll for a full course-load at UMD).
- Normally, students admitted under this policy are not eligible for graduate assistantships until they have completed all foundation courses. In rare instances exceptions may be made, so long as they do not conflict with other terms of this policy.
Maintenance of Admission Status
In order to maintain their status as MBA students, students admitted under this policy:
- Must generally complete all the required foundation coursework within 2 years (four semesters) of being admitted.
- Must maintain a GPA of 3.0 (B-average) in all their foundation coursework and not have any individual course grade lower than a C.
- Cannot take an MBA course for which they have not completed the prerequisite.
- Students must get their proposed MBA schedule for each semester approved by the MBA Director before registering for classes to ensure they have completed the foundation coursework on schedule.
- Will be subject to the 5-year time requirement for completing their degree starting with the date of their early admission to the program.
The “early” status of the students’ admission will be removed once all required foundation coursework is completed.
Students admitted under this policy who fail to meet any of the admission maintenance standards will be referred to the Graduate School for termination of their admission. Such students will then have to reapply to the program after completion of all their foundation courses and will be re-evaluated for admission based on the regular standards of the UM Graduate School and the Labovitz School of Business & Economics.
Any request for exceptions to this policy must be made in writing using the Labovitz School of Business & Economics Petition Form. Exception petitions will require the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies. Students will need to clearly document the exceptional circumstances that led to the request for an exception.