You are here
Rajiv Vaidyanathan, Ph.D.
Rajiv Vaidyanathan is Professor of Marketing and Department Head at the University of Minnesota Duluth. He served as Director of Graduate Studies for the School from 2001-2014. Starting in 2000, Rajiv spent two years as Vice President of Marketing at Active Learning Technologies where he was responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategy for a series of e-learning products. For the last twelve years, Rajiv has served as executive director of the Association for Consumer Research, the largest scholarly organization of consumer researchers in the world and served as the co-chair of the organization's Asia-Pacific conference in Hyderabad, India in 2009. He has taught numerous classes including Marketing Research, Advertising, and Consumer Behavior at the undergraduate level and Data Analysis & Statistics and Influence and Persuasion in the Workplace at the MBA level.
Dr. Vaidyanathan has won awards for his teaching, research, and service. He won the "Outstanding Article of the Year" award for his work published in the Journal of Marketing Education. He was honored with the Hormel Meritorious Teaching Award – a national award. He has also won numerous awards for his service including the University of Minnesota President's Award for Outstanding Service, the entire U of M system's most prestigious service award. In addition, he has won the Adviser of the Year award, the Above and Beyond award, and the Faculty Service Excellence Award at his School.
- Washington State University (1993), Ph.D. in Marketing.
- University of Idaho (1989), MBA.
- Delhi University, India (1987), B.Com (Honours)
- How consumers perceive prices and process information for decision-making
- Consumer decision making
- Enhancing pharmacy practive with marketing interventions
- Vaidyanathan, Rajiv, Praveen Aggarwal and Marat Bakpayev (2018), "A Functional Motivation Framework for Examining Superstitious Behavior," Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 3 (4), 454-465. Lead article in issue. https://doi.org/10.1086/698492
- Vaidyanathan, Rajiv and Ahmed F. Maamoun (2018), "Locally Laid Egg Company: No Time for Laying Around," The Case Research Journal, 38 (2), 33-44.
- Kim, Pielah, Hua Chang, Rajiv Vaidyanathan, and Leslie Stoel (2018), "Artist - Brand Alliances to Target New Consumers: Can Visual Artists Recruit New Consumers to a Brand?" Journal of Product & Brand Management, 27 (3), pp. 308-319. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBM-02-2017-1412
- Kim, Pielah, Rajiv Vaidyanathan, Hua Chang, and Leslie Stoel (2018), "Using Brand Alliances with Artists to Expand Retail Brand Personality," Journal of Business Research, 85 (April), pp. 424-433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.10.020
- Tomaszewski, Daniel, Tim Cernohous, and Rajiv Vaidyanathan (2017), "Evaluating Patient Preferences for Different Incentive Programs to Optimize Pharmacist-Provided Patient Care Program Enrollment," Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy, 23:11 (November), pp. 1140-1147. https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2017.23.11.1140.
- Aggarwal, Praveen and Rajiv Vaidyanathan (2016), "Is Font Size a Big Deal? A Transaction - Acquisition Utility Perspective on Comparative Price Promotions," Journal of Consumer Marketing, 33 (6), pp. 408-416. https://doi.org/10.1108/JCM-10-2015-1587
- Vaidyanathan, Rajiv, Praveen Aggarwal and Wojciech Kozłowski (2013), "Interdependent Self-Construal in Collectivist Cultures: Effects on Compliance in a Cause-Related Marketing Context," Journal of Marketing Communications, 19 (1), pp. 44-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13527266.2011.551833