You are here
Marat Bakpayev Ph.D.
Marat Bakpayev is an Assistant Professor of Marketing in the Labovitz School of Business and Economics at the University of Minnesota Duluth. He also serves as a Marketing and Graphic Design Major Advisor. Dr. Bakpayev is a graduate of Washington University in St. Louis and Neoma Business School, France.
Building upon research in robotics and human-robot interaction, he extended the main research stream into more general questions related to technology and consumer-technology interaction. More specifically, he investigates how new technologies impact consumer behavior. Such technologies use behavioral data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) for algorithm-based persuasion (algorithm-based communications, programmatic advertising, behavioral targeting, location-based advertising), user experience (virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality), social media, mobile apps, Internet of Things, and conversational agents (chatbots or virtual assistants).
His publications include articles appearing in the Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, International Journal of Drug Policy, and the Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community; research was presented at Association for Consumer Research Conference, European Marketing Academy Conference, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Academy of Marketing Science, Global Marketing Conference, and World Social Marketing Conference.
Dr. Bakpayev has industry experience in advertising, retailing, and social marketing, having several senior-level roles at Leo Burnett (Account Director for P&G), Zara (Commercial Director), and Population Services International (Regional Research and Development Manager). He teaches undergraduate and graduate-level courses - Advertising and Marketing Communications, Developing and Marketing New Products, Brand Management, Marketing Management, and Strategy, Strategic Marketing Management.
- Ph.D. in Management (2016), Neoma Business School, France
- MSW, Management, Social and Economic Development (2005), Washington University in St. Louis, United States
- Robots, Artificial Intelligence
- Advertising, Branding, Public Policy & Marketing
- Vaidyanathan, Rajiv, Praveen Aggarwal, and Marat Bakpayev (2018), “A Functional Motivation Framework for Examining Superstitious Behavior,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 454-465.
- Rossi, P., Borges, A., Bakpayev, M. (2015) Private labels versus national brands: The effects of branding on sensory perceptions and purchase intentions. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services
- Kan, M., Gall, J., Latypov, A., Gray, R., Bakpayev, M., Alisheva, D., Rakhmatova, K., Sadieva, A. (2014) Effective use of naloxone among people who inject drugs in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan using pharmacy-and community-based distribution approaches. International Journal of Drug Policy, 25 (6) 1221-6
- Gilbert, L., El-Bassel, N., Terlikbayeva, A., Rozental, Y., Chang, M., Brisson, A., Wu, E., Bakpayev, M. (2010). Couple-based HIV prevention for injecting drug users in Kazakhstan: A pilot intervention study. Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community, 38(2), 162-176.
- Advertising and Marketing Communications (BBA/MBA)
- Brand Management
- Marketing Management and Strategy (capstone)
- Strategic Marketing Management (MBA)
- Developing and Marketing New Products
- Social Marketing (2012-2013), Regional Research and Development Manager for Population Services International Central Asia
- Retailing (2009-2012), Commercial Director for Zara, Bershka, Pull & Bear, Massimo Dutti, Stradivarius; Branch Director for Celio, Sinequanone
- Advertising (2006-2009), Account Director for Procter & Gamble, Leo Burnett
- Advisor to Marketing and Graphic Design Major
- Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, University of Minnesota, Duluth Campus, 2017 to 2018