Certificate in Business Administration
You are here
Gain Knowledge. Complete MBA Prerequisites. Earn Certification.
If you’d like to gain knowledge of business fundamentals without declaring a major or minor in LSBE, the Certificate in Business Administration (CBA) might fit your needs. Designed specifically for non-LSBE and pre-MBA students, this fully online, set of eight modules provides an overview of business management processes.
The CBA program and the online modules are designed for you if you are any one of the below:
- A non-LSBE student who is interested in gaining knowledge of business fundamentals without declaring a major or minor in business.
Enrolled in the Cultural Entrepreneurship program through the College of Liberal Arts, where these modules are integrated into that curriculum.
- A pre-MBA student who does not have an undergraduate business degree prior to admission to the MBA program and you need to fulfill the prerequisites course requirements. (The HRM module is not required for admission into the MBA program. However, it is required for the CBA.)
- A community business professional who would like to brush up on your knowledge of business fundamentals or has continuing education needs.
Students can choose to complete all course modules, or they can select specific modules based on their interest in the field. If a student completes all eight modules, s/he will be awarded a Certificate in Business Administration by LSBE.
You can choose to complete all course modules, or you can select specific modules based on your interests. Upon completion of all eight modules, you will be awarded a Certificate in Business Administration by LSBE.
Modules can be taken for credit (each module is worth two credits) or not-for-credit through UMD’s Continuing Education Office.
Warning: These modules do not serve as substitutes for existing LSBE courses and should not be taken by LSBE students.
Please review the Certificate in Business Admin flyer for more details on the courses.
- Gain a strong understanding of business fundamentals
Become familiar with the vocabulary of business management
- Gain an understanding of the challenges faced by managers and strategies used to meet those challenges
Curriculum: (16 credits)
- BUS 2100: Fundamentals of Accounting
BUS 2200: Fundamentals of Economics
- BUS 2300: Fundamentals of Operations Management
BUS 2400: Fundamentals of Organizational Management
- BUS 2500: Fundamentals of Applied Statistics
BUS 2600: Fundamentals of Financial Management
- BUS 2700: Fundamentals of Marketing
- BUS 2800: Fundamentals of Human Resource Management
**Note: A minimum of 75% (12 credits) of the certificate coursework must consist of BUS courses taught at UMD.
To be admitted to this undergraduate certificate, students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.00 or meet the admission requirements for admission into UMD.
Application deadline is two weeks before the start of the semester.
Business Certificate Course Offerings Schedule
The courses follow this schedule each academic year.
|FALL SEMESTER||SPRING SEMESTER|
|First Half of Semester||First Half of Semester|
|BUS 2400||BUS 2600|
|BUS 2500||BUS 2800|
|Second Half of Semester||Second Half of Semester|
|BUS 2100||BUS 2300|
|BUS 2200||BUS 2700|
For more information and/or access into the BUS classes, please contact:
Director of LSBE Advising and Academic Services