Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
You are here
The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) is available to students in undergraduate studies at the University of Minnesota Duluth. As a student you may receive financial support on a competitive basis by submitting a UROP proposal. Students work alongside a faculty mentor and have access to support recourse through the UROP Coordinator. All applications are evaluated by selection committees and awards are granted to the student proposals approved by the committee.
Upon completion of the research project, UROP recipients present their findings at the annual UMD Undergraduate Research/Artistic Showcase or at an approved LSBE showcase event.
For more details about the UMD UROP program click here or contact
UROP Program at a Glance
How To Apply For UROP Grant?
When you decide that the UROP program will be a beneficial learning experience as part of your college education, please read the following instructions that outlines the application process.
What Does A Fundable UROP Proposal Look Like?
To aid in developing your own research proposal, examples of UROP proposals written by LSBE students are available for your review.
Application Deadlines & Submissions:
- The next UROP Application/Proposal deadline is expected to be 11:59 PM Monday October 9, 2018 for 2019 spring projects. The following deadline date is expected to be Monday February 18, 2019 11:59 PM for 2019 summer and fall projects; please check the website for confirmation on this date.
All UMD UROP applications must be submitted electronically through the University of Minnesota Twin Cities website here.
Finding A Faculty Mentor
Part of the formal application for a UROP grant is a recommendation from a faculty mentor. These individuals are also good resources in helping to identify viable research topics and act as a sounding board for your ideas, providing feedback and suggestions along the way.
Students With Approved UROP's
After you have been awarded a UROP grant and begin work on your UROP project questions may arise such as:
- How do I access my grant award?
- What is the next step once my project is completed?
- What is required as a final written report for my project?
- What if I need more time to complete the project then was originally allotted?
- What evaluations of the program are needed from me? From my faculty mentor?
Answers to these and other questions regarding your UROP project.