You are here
Richard Brown, CEO JNBA
Financial Planning Program
Richard S. Brown
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Under Richard Brown's leadership, JNBA has become one of the premier wealth management firms in the country and has grown from managing $90 million in client assets to advising on over $650 million today. Brown's mother, Judith, founded the firm and was a pioneer in offering feebased financial advice. He continues his mother's vision, concentrating on the company's client-focused reputation and maintaining its independent, community-focused outlook.
As a result of his involvement with the school, in May 2009 Richard was appointed as a Senior Fellow to the Labovitz School of Business and Economics at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. Among his contributions, Richard assisted in the development of a financial planning curriculum.
Brown serves on national and local boards, including:
- Dean's Business Advisory Council, Labovitz School of Business and Economics, UMD (2010-present)
A council built from alumni business leaders with the mission to serve as the link between the School and the organizations and business communities the School serves. The council provides advice in strategic planning, identifying and carrying out development and fundraising plans, and pinpointing changes and trends in the business environment.
- NIFAP Study Group (2004-present)
National group consisting of 30 independent advisors around the country who manage a total of $8 billion in assets and meet quarterly to share best practices.
- TD Ameritrade Advisory Board (2000-2013)
The TD Ameritrade Advisory Board, headed by the President of TD Ameritrade Institutional is a group of designated advisors recognized as best in class. Committed to setting higher standards for the industry, this group of thought leaders meets to analyze and interpret trends, discuss critical client satisfaction/service issues, compliance, fee disclosure requirements, and other critical factors that affect advisors and clients.
- TD Ameritrade President's Council (2014 – present)
After having served on TD Ameritrade's Advisory Board for over a decade, Richard transitioned to the organization's President's Council where he and a very select group of independent advisors are called upon to provide thought leadership on issues relevant to the independent advisor community and financial services industry.
His educational background and previous work experience has positioned him to be a tremendous leader and strategic thinker:
- CEO at JNBA Financial Advisors (1996-Present)
- Executive Domestic & International Contract Negotiator at Irwin Jacobs Companies (1992-1996)
- General Manager at Ladbroke Racing, an international Fortune 500 company based in U.K. (1989-1992)
- 1 of 100 CEOs selected to participate in Jack Welch’s two-day Special Management Program, -Winning
- Participant- Program on Negotiation, Inter-University Consortium (Harvard University/MIT/Tuff's University)
- Undergraduate- University of Minnesota, Duluth and Arizona State University
Richard's philanthropic nature and community focus align him in a unique position to guide our high-net-worth clientele to fulfilling their own family legacy.
- President and Board Chair, 2011 and 2012 Awards Gala Honorary Chair, Starkey Hearing Foundation
- Board Member, Essentia Health Foundation
- Board Member, Chancellor's Advisory Council, University of Minnesota Duluth
- Board Member, Special Olympics Minnesota (2005-2011)
- Founder, Richard S. Brown Foundation
- Founder, Michael King Scholarship - provides educational scholarships to underprivileged kids from his hometown of Lakewood, NJ